Lenovo launches ThinkPad Tablet for business users and stylish IdeaPad K1 for consumers on the move - (UK and Germany)
July 20, 2011
Lenovo launches ThinkPad Tablet for business users
and stylish IdeaPad K1 for consumers on the move
Tablet portfolio delivers style and thousands of apps and services for business and consumer users
July 20, 2011: Lenovo has today announced the launch of its robust ThinkPad Tablet for business users and the sleek and stylish IdeaPad Tablet K1 for consumers. The tablets are the company’s first mobile internet devices featuring the Android* 3.1 platform.
“The ThinkPad Tablet has been designed for professionals and the IdeaPad K1 offers consumers the perfect, on the move, tablet companion,” said Liu Jun, senior vice president and president, Mobile Internet Digital Home business group, Lenovo. “Furthermore, the ThinkPad Tablet offers a selection of unique features that both business professionals and IT administrators prefer, including backend integration capability with Zero Touch deployment, full device and SD encryption, XML IT admin and ActiveSync policy support. While the IdeaPad K1 offers entertainment-friendly features such as 40 boredom-busting apps.”
Lenovo’s new tablets deliver an enhanced mobile experience and feature NVIDIA* Tegra* 2 dual-core mobile processors that offer extreme multitasking, noticeably faster web browsing with built-in Adobe* Flash Player, console-quality gaming and low power consumption for improved battery life.
“The Tegra 2 dual core processor is the perfect fit for Lenovo’s tablets,” said Michael Rayfield, general manager, Mobile Business, NVIDIA. “Consumers can now enjoy the whole web with Flash*, console quality gaming and high definition video. These are a must have for today’s tablets.”
Bringing Android to Business
The ThinkPad Tablet combines a superior media and entertainment experience with the security, reliability and manageability features for which ThinkPad is known to create a true business-class tablet. Designed as a companion computing device for professionals on the go, the ThinkPad Tablet includes an optional digitiser pen, a full-size USB port, full-size SD card slot, and mini-HDMI for connecting to external projectors and displays, as well as an optional ThinkPad quality Keyboard Folio Case with optical TrackPoint.
Data remains safe on the ThinkPad Tablet with layered data security, and the device is easily supported by IT managers thanks to a suite of business partner solutions that include anti-theft software and the ability to disable the tablet if the device is lost or stolen with Computrace*. Additional security features include virtual desktop support with Citrix Receiver*, simple zero-touch deployment with LanDesk* and secure email support available from Good Technology*.
Offering a 10.1” WXGA (1280x800) display weighing a mere 1.6 lbs, the ThinkPad Tablet also comes with an IPS display for a 178-degree viewing angle and scratch-resistant Corning* Gorilla* Glass. This business-class device keeps professionals connected, productive and entertained while they’re away from the office and their home.
Simply put, Lenovo’s ThinkPad Tablet can be trusted by professional users and IT administrators alike:
- Get more on the go: The ThinkPad Tablet allows users to view and edit Microsoft Office documents with the preloaded Documents to Go app by DataViz. Users can also plug in the Keyboard Folio for fast, comfortable and accurate typing and mouse control
- Get better connected: With WiFi connectivity, 2GB of free cloud storage, a standard size USB port and SD Card Reader and Lenovo’s unique file copy utility, sharing media files and documents with other people and electronic devices is easy. Users can keep in touch with friends and business contacts using Lenovo’s exclusive SocialTouch app.
- Get down to business: The ThinkPad Tablet can connect to a range of devices and networks without hands-on help from IT administrators. Users can utilise corporate network passwords and access devices and connect to corporate email -- with the specially certified app, Good for Enterprise. Most importantly, users will have the ability to protect confidential data with robust security features including SD card encryption, lost device disablement and anti-theft software
Get more, more, more with the IdeaPad K1 Tablet
Weighing just 1.6 lbs, the sleek, stylish and completely portable IdeaPad K1 tablet offers integrated Bluetooth* and 802.11 Wi-Fi connectivity. The Android-powered IdeaPad Tablet has several key features and tools as standard, for flexibility, power and security to enjoy digital content anywhere:
- More out of the box: Preloaded with more 40 apps from partners like Amazon*, Adobe*, Electronic Arts*, Rovio* and Dataviz* amongst others, including favorites like Angry Birds*, Kindle* E-book Reader and Documents to Go*
- More entertainment: Browse all websites and watch online videos with ease thanks to Flash 10.3. Plus, with DRM, movies can be rented in every available format
- More social networking: Access an entire network of friends and social sites all in one place, with Lenovo's exclusive SocialTouch* app, which effectively creates a one-stop social connection. The IdeaPad Tablet K1 also comes with a two-megapixel front-facing and a five-megapixel rear-facing webcam
- More true HD and more cloud sharing: Watch movies and videos in breathtaking HD on a 1280 X 800 resolution screen. The mini HDMI connection allows full 1080p HD viewing when connected to an HDTV or monitor, resulting in a powerful visual experience. Sync, store and share files, music and photos with more integrated cloud storage
- More Apps: Access hundreds of thousands of apps in Android Market and apps tested exclusively for premium function on the IdeaPad Tablet K1 in the Lenovo App Shop
Lenovo App Shop - Premium Ecosystem of Apps and Content Services
In addition to the hundreds of thousands of apps available in Android Market, IdeaPad Tablet K1 and ThinkPad Tablet users have access to apps in the Lenovo App Shop -- a unique app marketplace offering country-specific applications, currency, and languages, which features popular applications that have been tested specifically for Lenovo IdeaPad and ThinkPad Tablets. The Lenovo App Shop, which supports enterprise applications and a private corporate application, offers apps within a broad range of categories including music, movies, books, productivity, social networking, weather, printing and more.
Pricing and Availability
The IdeaPad K1 will be available in August. Pricing for models starts at approximately £369 and €399 VAT included.
The new ThinkPad Tablet will be available in September. Approximate pricing for models will start from £399 and €459 VAT included depending on configuration.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a $US21 billion personal technology company serving customers in more than 160 countries, and the world’s third-largest PC vendor. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly-efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones. Lenovo, a global Fortune 500 company, has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com/tablets
* All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.